Universal Music GorupLooks like the YouTube video that purported to reveal all the details of the 50th anniversary edition of the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band was accurate. A slew of album packages marking the anniversary are coming out next month.
“It’s crazy to think that 50 years later we are looking back on this project with such fondness and a little bit of amazement at how four guys, a great producer and his engineers could make such a lasting piece of art,” says Paul McCartney in an introduction he wrote for the anniversary edition.
“Sgt. Pepper seemed to capture the mood of that year, and it also allowed a lot of other people to kick off from there and to really go for it,” Ringo Starr says in a statement included in the edition’s book.
All the packages, which arrive May 26, will include a new stereo mix of the album by Giles Martin, son of the late Sir George Martin. The mix was sourced directly from the original four-track session tapes. The album has also been expanded with extra tracks from the album sessions, including 34 previously unreleased recordings.
Here’s a rundown of the packages:
–Expanded 2CD and digital package features the new stereo album mix on the first CD.
–Second CD of 18 tracks, including previously unreleased complete takes of the album’s 13 songs, a new stereo mix, a previously unreleased instrumental take of “Penny Lane,” and the 2015 stereo mix and two previously unreleased complete takes of “Strawberry Fields Forever.”
–180-gram 2-LP vinyl package with the new stereo album mix on the first LP and a second LP with previously unreleased complete takes of the album’s 13 songs.
Super Deluxe six-disc boxed set
New stereo album mix.
CDs 2 & 3
– 33 additional recordings from the studio sessions, most previously unreleased and mixed for the first time from the four-track session tapes, sequenced in chronological order of their recording dates.
– A new stereo mix of “Penny Lane” and the 2015 stereo mix of “Strawberry Fields Forever.”
– Direct transfers of the album’s original mono mix and the “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “Penny Lane” singles.
– Capitol Records’ U.S. promotional mono single mix of “Penny Lane.”
– Previously unreleased early mono mixes of “She’s Leaving Home,” “A Day In The Life,” and “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.” The latter was thought to have been erased from a tape in 1967, but was discovered during archive research for this edition.
CDs 5 & 6 (Blu-ray and DVD)
– New 5.1 surround audio mixes of the album and “Penny Lane” by Giles Martin and Sam Okell, plus their 2015 5.1 surround mix of “Strawberry Fields Forever.”
– High-resolution audio versions of the new stereo mixes of the album and “Penny Lane,” and of the 2015 stereo mix of “Strawberry Fields Forever.”
– 4K restored original promotional films for “Strawberry Fields Forever,” “Penny Lane,” and “A Day in the Life.”
—The Making of Sgt. Pepper, a restored, previously unreleased documentary film first broadcast in 1992, featuring insightful interviews with McCartney, George Harrison, and Starr, and in-studio footage introduced by George Martin.
–144-page hardcover book with introductions by McCartney and Giles Martin, rare photographs, reproductions of handwritten lyrics, bonus posters and more.
Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.