Munising_Mustang_Girls_Bball_Banner

–The Munising Mustangs Girls play on 1400am GTO Good Time Oldies and WQXO.com with Mike James!

03/12/2015 Kingsford High School, Kingsford, MI – The Munising Mustangs regional championship game against the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans was sure to be an exciting contest, as both teams came into the night with outstanding records. Munising’s record was an incredible 23 wins and one loss, and the opposing Trojans had a record of 20 wins and four losses. The opening tip-off was won by Munising Mustangs, but the ball was quickly stolen from them. The Trojans then scored the first points of the game on a fast-break lay-up. On the Mustangs’ next drive, they were unable to score again, but the Trojans scored a three-point shot to put them at a score of five to zero early in the first quarter. Munising was able to get onto the scoreboard when Frankie Mattson was fouled and scored two free-throws. The Mustangs tied the score with under four minutes left in the quarter, and they looked to keep their scoring-run going. Frankie Mattson continued her excellent play when she flat out rejected a Trojans’ jump shot, and that gave her five total points in the quarter, as well as one blocked-shot and one steal. With only one minute remaining in the first quarter, the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans found themselves trailing the Munising Mustangs by a score of 13 to seven.

Your Munising Mustang girls warming-up for their game against the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans on Thursday, March 12th, 2015 on 1400am GTO Good Time Oldies and WQXO.com!

First Quarter Score:
Munising Mustangs: 13
Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans: 7

The stands were filled with cheering fans, as the Munising Mustangs were leading the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans in the regional championship playoff game in Kingsford, MI. Both teams had some foul trouble, with each team having more than one player with multiple fouls at the start of the second quarter. Melissa Ackerman had three fouls midway through the quarter, and this put the Mustangs at a disadvantage. Frankie Mattson continued her outstanding play when she was fouled multiple times, and she was able to make several free-throws that bolstered Munising’s score even further. With three minutes left in the first half, Marissa Immel stole the ball from the Trojans and fed Bailey Downs for a quick lay-up. As the first half of play came to a close, the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans looked as though they might be able to come back when they were able to score four points in a row, but the Mustangs strong defense was able to stop them.

The Munising Mustang girls warm-up against the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans on Thursday, March 12th, 2015 on 1400am GTO Good Time Oldies and WQXO.com!

Second Quarter Score:
Munising Mustangs: 23
Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans: 17

Halftime at the Kingsford High School Gymnasium saw the Munising Mustang girls looking refreshed, and they seemed to be in control of the game. However, their opponents, the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans had other plans, as they did their best to fight their way back in front of the Munising girls. Frankie Mattson had nine total points in the first half of the game, and she looked to continue that success into the second half. The Trojans used their halftime break to regroup and refocus, and they appeared to be coming back from their deficit when they scored the first points of the second half. The Mustangs, however, answered immediately when they were able to make a jump shot to make the score, the Munising Mustangs 25 and the Trojans 19. Fouls continued to be a problem for both teams, and the referees had no intention of letting the game get out of their control. The Trojans were able to fight their way back into contention, when they scored a jump shot that put their score at 23, and the Munising Mustangs score was 27, which was much too close for the Mustangs’ comfort. The Munising fans that packed the Kingsford gym came alive when the Mustangs were in trouble of being overtaken, and the Munising players needed all the help they could get to defeat the Trojans. With just one minute left in the third quarter, Peyton Bonneville re-entered the game, and was able to draw a foul which gave possession of the ball to the Mustangs, but Munising was unable to score before the end of the quarter, however.

Third Quarter Score:
Munising Mustangs: 27
Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans: 23

The final quarter of play started with the Munising Mustangs in control of the ball and doing their best to hold off the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans in an intense game of high school basketball. The Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans went on a huge scoring run when they scored eight straight points to put the Trojans ahead of the Mustangs by a score of 31 to 27. The noise was deafening as the Kingsford High School Gymnasium was filled with the parents and fans of both teams. Peyton Bonneville brought the Mustangs closer to the Trojans when she scored a jump shot for two, and she was fouled, but missed the free-throw attempt which put the score at 31 Trojans and 29 Mustangs. The Trojans answered by scoring another tough jump shot, which put them four points in front of the Mustangs, but it was definitely still within reach for Munising. Frankie Mattson scored a lay-up from a great in-bounds pass with under three minutes left in the game, to bring the Mustangs to within two points of the Trojans by a score of 33 for the Trojans and 31 for Munising. Crystal Falls-Forest Park was able to score on a quick lay-up, but the next play saw a Munising player fouled, and she answered with two good free-throws. Melissa Ackerman tied the score at 35-35 with one minute left on an amazing rebound. With 45 seconds left, the Trojans scored two points to make the score 37 Trojans and 35 Mustangs, and the next play saw a Trojans player fouled in the back court, which gave control back to the Trojans. With eight seconds left in the game, number 12 for the Trojans fouled a Mustangs’ player, but the Mustangs were unable to surpass the tough Crystal Falls-Forest Park team. With three seconds left, the Trojans scored two free-throws, which was the final nail in the coffin for the Mustangs.

The Munising Mustang girls play live on 1400am GTO Good Time Oldies and WQXO.com!

Final Game Score:
Munising Mustangs: 39
Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans: 36

Listen – Full Game – Munising Mustangs are defeated by the Crystal Falls-Forest Park Trojans on Thursday, March 12th, 2015 on 1400am GTO Good Time Oldies.mp3